A Circa 1933 16mm Film showing the some of the trades taught at the Wayne County Training School.
A 1946 British Pathe News Reel showing an Eloise Infirmary patient classifield as a genius playing piano.
1968 documentary narrarated by Lorne Green that shows the Plymouth State Home programs.
Click Here To View
Donated by Adam Barrett Click Here
Some went to vandalize and party and some went to explore and document. It sat abandoned for 24 years left open to the elements. Had the school been redeveloped sooner or immediately torn down when it closed in 1974, a significant part of its history would have been lost.
Many signicant discoveries were made at the school by great researchers. To allow it to fade into obscurity would be a discredit to the over 7400 children, the hundreds of employees, and the researchers that came from all over the world that were part of this massive social/medical experiment.
We will also never censor the scandals and abuse that occured. Many people have shared their experiences with me. This incudes former employees and students. There is over 100 years of information packed into this site. By maintaining this site my goal is to keep the history of this institution alive. It is all dedicated the children that endured all the good and bad that went on in the schools 48 years of operation.
* The new version of this website has been made to be "Mobile Friendly".
* To navigate the site use the "3 Bar Icon"" on the upper left to view the menu. The menu is on the left side of your screen.
* There are hundreds of pages on this website. If you can not find what you are looking for please comtact us.
* Use your devices features to optimize your experience.
* Tap on some images to enlarge.
* PDF files Will download or open in a new window. Hit back to return.
* Some menu items have an arrow on the right side. Those indicte a sub menu with more options
We do not have student records. They are sealed and housed by the State of Michigan in Lansing.
Use of information, images etc.
A lot of work has gone into building this site. Please respect the copyright and contact me for any requests to use any content. I have no issue sharing. I want to make sure the right people are credited for their individual contributions
I can be contacted via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
I can also be direct messaged on Facebook
Last Update May 11 2019